Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Little Salty & a Whole Lot of Dough

Since I've been trying to find some fun activities for the short one and I to do that don't completely wipe out what energy I currently have, I thought making salt dough ornaments might fit the bill nicely. And I was right.

Jacob loves getting messy & this craft definitely has the mess factor going on. We've made a couple of these ornaments with his hand prints & next time we're going to branch out to some other fun shapes. He has big plans for his Bob & Larry, Mickey Mouse & my Big Tex cookie cutters.

These are super, super easy to make. I promise. With one caveat- you have to get the measurements for the ingredients exactly correct or you'll spend a sweet forever trying to get the consistency right. Don't ask me how I know this.



Pour your flour and salt into a big bowl that you can knead it in.


Add the water.
Now, knead it until it forms a nice dough. It should be a little sticky ,but not so much that it sticks to your hand so much you need a putty knife to remove it.

You should be able to make 2 dough balls.
Form them out on a cookie sheet so that there's enough room for little hands to make an impression. 
And seriously, do this directly on the cookie sheet you plan to bake them on. Save yourself time, stress & having to re-do.

 

Get a straw and poke a hole into each of them so string later.
Bake them up.


Behold. 
The finished product.
Yes, I know. My less than fantastic photography skills make them a little hard to see. I promise, there are hand prints there!
Later this week, we're going to paint all the ornaments!




Salt Dough Ornaments

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup water

Mix and knead until a dough consistency is formed.
Roll out and press out the shape you want.

Bake for 3 hours at 200 degrees.


2 comments :

Mama Up! said...

So the first time I ever tried making salt dough for P. she kept trying to eat it and then would cry because it was gross. It was more than a year before we tried again.

Taylor said...

My 5 year old kept asking me if he could just have a little taste. It took a whole lot of explaining as to why this "project" dough and not "cookie" dough!