Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Veggie Taco Salad

Y'all, I know! I'm so behind! Forgive me?! There's been a whole lot going on in my non-computer world & I'm just now starting to play catch up.

To get back in the swing of things, I'm linking up with my friend, Jamie, over at Roubinek Reality for her linky party! We're doing, Something Fabulous Wednesday! How fun is that?! It's all about sharing your DIY's in recipes, crafts, etc!

So, without further ado, here's my contribution!

Vegetarian Taco Salad





Stay with me, people. I know. Trust me. A veggie taco salad? It seems weird. I know. (because my husband walked into the kitchen several times and doubted my ability to make a taco salad without ground meat) But it totally works! And, it hit the table in under 30 minutes!

You'll Need:
2 cans of beans, rinsed & drained- I mixed black beans and red beans
1/2 to 3/4 bag of frozen corn, thawed
1 zuchini, chopped
1 to 2 carrots, chopped- or, if you're like me and have some extra baby carrots, chop & use those
1 red onion, chop it pretty finely
1 to 2 sweet peppers, chopped- I had some mini yellow, red & orange bell peppers
1 container of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
chopped lettuce

shredded cheese
sour cream
salad dressing you like
salsa
guacamole
tortilla chips

salt- just to season the onions
taco seasoning, to taste

Here's What You'll Do:
 Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add your onions. Let them cook and get nice a clear and as translucent as red onions ever get. Add a little bit of salt and stir the onions around. Then, add your beans (making sure they are nice and rinsed and drained) to the pan. Mix. Then add your carrots and your peppers. Let them cook through a bit. Now, toss in your corn! Cook for a bit. Add your zuchini. After a minute or two, season with your taco seasoning. Mix and let the flavors get nice and cozy with each other. Then, add your tomatoes. Let them cook until the tomatoes are warm and start to get slightly wilted. Turn the heat off and take the pan off the burner.

Place your chopped lettuce on plates and spoon the taco mix on the lettuce. Add some shredded cheese will everything is hot. The cheese gets nice and melty.

That's it!
Serve with your favorite dressings, salsa, guac & chips! Let your family customize from here!


What was the final report?
I loved it!
The resident 5 year old loved it and ate it up!
and the husband? He ate 2 servings!

1 comment :

Jamie said...

Thanks SOOO much for linking up at Something Fabulous Wednesday! This looks delicious! I'm pinning it! :)