Thursday, November 01, 2007

Out Loud

I'm just thinking out loud here...

How many of us are actually good about getting outside ourselves? What I mean is, we all know how easy it is to get completely wrapped up in our own particular brand of crazy. So much so that we can't see anything that's in front of us. I read an article in my christian woman's mag yesterday about following through when you say you're going to pray for someone.

... and the thought hit me. A lot of the time I have a hard time just looking up from my junk to see that someone else needs my prayers... much less follow through in a meaningful way.

That kinda caught me off-guard. I mean, I've always thought of myself as a fairly compassionate person & I do make it a policy to never let someone cry in my presence without my arms around them.

I became aware, very startlingly, that every day there are chances to be someone's comfort. To say to them, "I know it hurts. I believe you. I wish I could fix it, but all I can do is hold you and love you." I think, sometimes, that may be the best thing we can do when faced with pain that we can't fix. And that's hard for me to say... I always want to fix it. I always want to make it better... to rescue if I can.

And I realized how many of those chances I have squandered because I was "too busy" to look up.

Anyway. Just wanted to say, look around. There are people who could use a hug. There are people who could use an intercessor.

People who desperately need to be carried to Jesus.

I think that's up there on that list of stuff that makes life worth it.

No comments :