Friday, September 11, 2009

A Small 9/11 Post

It's stunning to me that it's been 8 years since the attacks of 9/11/2001.

That day is so firmly etched into my memory- I could live to be a 100 & I would still be able to recount where I was, what I was doing.... what I felt. What I saw....... I will never forget that day. And I know many, many people who feel that way.

But I wonder, as a culture- as Americans... have we forgotten? We are notorious for our short attention span, as a country & I think for our memory as well. I wonder if we have forgotten that there were people who wanted to kill us? I wonder if that really, ever seeped into our collective consciousness.

I have a problem with the fact that our government no longer uses the term "terror" or the term "terrorist." Of course, I have a problem with those who would place the blame for the 9/11 attacks on the doorstep of the U.S. It's insulting. It's hurtful & it kinda makes me angry.

I will say that I know that the U.S. has charted an incredibly foolish path as we battle back and forth amongst ourselves over such (apparently) terribly important issues such as the 10 Commandments in public places, The Pledge of Allegiance, Christmas...... and don't get me started on the street fight that has become the "debate" on health care reform.

I suppose it was too much to ask for us to come together for more than a 6 month period of time.... it obviously was for the so called, "People's Servants," who seem to have such a hard time remembering they work for the citizens of the United States of America... and not the other way around.

I suppose it's easier to dwell on the things that make us different- to use those differences as our battle cry in our constant fight of, "You First, After Me."..... then to ever seek out the things that make us the same. To highlight those things, to celebrate them. To unite behind them. To take care of one another.

And all the while, we turn a blind eye to the dangers that lurk beyond our backdoor. Dangers that the rest of the world is very aware of. They live with these dangers every day. Kinda makes me wonder when we're going to grow up, as a country. We're incredibly spoiled.

How incredibly foolish.
Did we learn nothing?

No comments :