Friday, August 06, 2010

Another Story Involving the Gym... Kinda

It starts with, I was on the treadmill at the gym on Wednesday. (as all great epic rants do...)

Let me set the scene for you- It's about 2:30-3pm. I finally got to the gym (yippee!) and started my treadmill routine. I have my beloved iPOD (no, I don't have a name for her.... suggestion?) on & turned to my work-out mix and my earbuds and in my ears. I start up the treadmill & look up at the tv screens in front of me.

There's not a lot to choose from- but watching something other than other people sweat does make the time go faster. One of the tellys is tuned to E!.... I recognized that, okay, I'll watch that. (I'm embarrassed to report that I watched the 6am news with rapt attention the other morning while on the treadmill.)

What was on? Khloe & Kourtney (or however you spell their names) take Miami..... a word to the citizens to Miami..... take your city back- quick.

Anyway. Oh, my golly sam lawnmowers!

These chicks are about my age & I was thoroughly embarrassed for them. No class. None.

The way they talked to each other- YIKES! It wasn't just rude or mean, it was nasty (as in, ewwww! Why in the name of green, green grass would you say something like that TO YOUR SISTER?!). They bleeped out the words, but you knew EXACTLY what these girlies were saying. Now- my family is not Puritanical by any means.... but if ANY female spoke to another member like that- there'd be a come to Jesus meeting. Abruptly.

But the moment that made me stop my treadmill was when one of the girls didn't just flash.... oh no, she showed her who-who on NATIONAL TELEVISION! For an extended time. (And then we were treated to a whole storyline revolving around Missy's little missy.) Yes, it was blurred, but are you kidding me? And that didn't embarrass or humiliate her AT ALL. She said something far less .... public was the most humiliating moment of her life.

What an after school special.

And I watched this thinking, I'm not that old. I'm 29!!!!!! I'm about these girls' ages! And as I watched this, I became my mother- I really wanted to rattle those girls' teeth (especially the one who is a mother of a little baby boy herself...... oohhhh, I really want to shake her till her teeth rattle.)

And here's the thing... I remember watching E! when I was a teen.... I watched it when I was in my early 20's... NOT ALL THAT LONG AGO, thank you very much. So I know girls and young(er) women watch this- and I just wonder what they are getting from this? Are they getting that these girls are sorta, kinda not who they should be looking to as behavioral role models? OR (my thinking) are they thinking that, this is normal? This IS what they should model themselves after?

After school special, indeed.

No comments :