Thursday, January 29, 2015

Totally Yummy Broccoli Salad

First off..... I'm no food stylist or food blogger. I love to cook and sharing my food with others..... all that to say, the picture I took at the bottom of the post..... well, it's not awesome. 

However, this salad is.

Back story- I recently joined a co-op for fruits and veggies & I love it. My sister-in-law has been on my case (lovingly!) about joining for months. I kept putting it off.... but, seriously.... now? I'm kicking myself for not joining sooner. I love it! It's making me cook and serve fresh fruits and veggies every single day.

I'm super lucky that the Husband and the 6 year old are not picky eaters. In fact, Jacob loves broccoli. So, when I saw the big bundles of fresh broccoli in my co-op basket, I knew I had to make something super yummy with it. As a bonus, there has been some super awesome weather here in north Texas & we've been rolling with the windows down & doing a lot of playing outside.

It's been the perfect weather for Broccoli Salad!
Now, I have to admit, I didn't measure much in the recipe. I knew I wanted the broccoli to be lightly "sauced" with the dressing. Here's an outline of a recipe- add more or less of the dressing ingredients to suit your taste!

Chilled Broccoli Salad

a couple of heads of fresh broccoli
4/5 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled (save some of the bacon grease)
1/4 cup of red onion- finely sliced or chopped
1/2 cup craisins (I wish I had added more- but we were out)
 shredded mild cheddar cheese

Dressing
(these amounts are approximate. remember, you can add or use less to your taste)
1 cup (ish) of mayo
3-4 Tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2-3 Tablespoons of sugar
a little drizzle of the reserved bacon grease


To assemble the salad:
cut off the broccoli florets from the stem and through the florets into a bowl. Cook your bacon in a skillet, being careful not to burn it. Just get it nice and crispy. I chopped my bacon up before I cooked it, but you can totally crumble it up after. However you roll, that's cool. When your bacon is cooked, then drain it off & remember to save just a bit of the grease. Through the bacon into the bowl with your broccoli.

Add the craisins.
(I should add- the husband thought that some added chopped almonds or pecans or such would be great in this salad. If that's your thing, then add them now.)

It's time to make the dressing now.

In another bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing & whisk away.
Now...... this part is totally an option. But. It's a tasty one. I added just a wee little bit of the bacon grease to the dressing.

I know. I know.
Not the healthiest salad in the world.
But, man, it was so good!

Add your cheese at this point and then cover and chill the salad for about 2 hours!
The longer you can let it set and chill, the better.
Serve to a grateful family!







No comments :