Monday, July 23, 2012

He Really Is Listening

I posted this on Facebook last night....

"At lunch today after church, Jacob asked if we were going to thank Jesus for our food. I said, of course. Then I asked him if he would like to pray. He said yes & insisted that we all hold hands & prayed, "Dear Jesus, thank you for our food. And for a good day. And for Sunday class. And for our food. And a good day. And Sunday class. AMEN.""

I started thinking this morning. He really is listening. To everything that's going on around him. The conversations he hears. The songs on the radio. The tv shows that are really just back ground to me.... they are making an impression on him. And.... as I am so likely to do, I started to obsess over every. little. detail for a few minutes and spun myself into a nice little mini-freak out that I could not possibly control everything that was pouring into his sweet little soul! And what would that mean for him?! What kind of mother am I? I must be vigilant! At all times! He's counting on me!

........


And then. I stopped. I took a breath. 


And I remembered that I cannot possibly control every little thing that pours into his sweet soul.

There. I said it.

I can do my best. I can guard his hedges to the best of my ability & pray to the LORD to do the rest. I can commit to disciplining him in the ways of the LORD. I can commit to teaching him love, honor, respect... and a myriad of other things that I dearly want my son to learn.

And.

When, it's hard. When he tries me at every. single. turn. (cause, he's a kid) I pray. Oh, I pray to God that He will work it all out for us, cause we love Him.

And. Then, Sunday. I got a glimpse that He is.

No comments :