Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Quiet

It's rarely, if ever ,truly quiet around me. There is almost always something on. And loud. And requiring my attention. For most of my life, that's how I liked it. I craved the noise to drown out the silence. To drown out the sounds of my own breath. The thud of my heart. I've spent a lifetime rarely content to just. Be.

As I've gotten older, I think I've come to reach out for the silent... to greedily grasp it in the hands & hold on to it as tightly as I can. To sit. With the chaos of life beat down to a whisper. To breath. And hear the breaths go in and out. Reminding me that I am HERE. That for this moment in time, I can simply exist in this space and time.

And it reminds me of how much I rush over, skip over & flat out ignore when the noise gets too loud...

Like when I don't open my Bible for a week.
....~and yet, somehow, expect to be able to tune into Christ nonetheless

Like when I don't stop & talk to God.
....~ but somehow expect that things will go the right way anyway.

Like when I don't both to cease my striving & LISTEN to God.
....~ but yet, amazingly, believe that I can know His Heart & His Will.

I like the silence.

No comments :