Thursday, September 11, 2014

Do You Remember?

I was 20 years old and attending community college.

I remember getting up and starting to get ready for school that morning. I was living with my parents and grandmother in my parents' home. I had over slept my alarm (again) and was hurrying to get ready for my Psychology class. I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room, on my way to the kitchen for some coffee. My grandmother was watching the tv with an odd look on her face.

I asked her what was wrong and she pointed to the television.

I glanced over at the screen just in time to see the second plane hit the second tower of the World Trade Center.

I will never, ever forget that moment.

The rest of that day is a blur of horror as everything unfolded and the truth that our country and our people had been attacked became clear. Evil had walked right up to us and sucker punched us.

That day. That moment. It changed every single facet of life. It changed the way we think. It changed the way we viewed the world around us. I think it humbled us. We realized that the bad things we saw around the world could, and would, happen here. So many lessons were taught that day. I hope we learned them.

I've gone back and forth in my feelings and response to that day. 
Sometimes, I feel like this...



and then, other times... it's more like this..




I'm a bit amazed that 13 years have passed since that morning. SO much has happened in that span of time. Marriages, divorces... babies have been born, including my two babies. Job changes. Life changes. Life goes on.

But some things should never be forgotten. Some things, I never want to forget.... no matter how much I wish they never happened. This day is one of those things.

No comments :