Saturday, August 18, 2012

In Which I Talk About Compassion

So.

I have been going back and forth with myself about writing about Compassion Intl.

I think it might go without saying that I support them. I have a Compassion child. I have links to them here on the blog. I tweet out links and posts on the Twitter. 

But.

But.

I haven't really talked about it.

About the little girl in Ecuador that I'm growing a relationship with through prayer and support. About how it is so worth 'sacrificing' the extra fast food run and Starbucks drive thru... to make sure that I have the support money to send to Compassion for L. And I hate how snarky it could sound putting the word sacrifices in "". But really. when I think about it. I have food at home. I have plenty of my beloved coffee at home. I have a closet FULL of clothes and shoes.

L ... not so much.

Her parents'... not so much. They worry every day about keeping their daughter (and their other children) Alive.

I don't really have that worry with Jacob. I know that I have the means and ability to provide my son's basic needs. Right now.

I can send that $38 a month. And write L letters. And send stickers and paper dolls. And... perhaps, even more importantly, get Jacob involved... get him to "write" letters and to draw her pictures. I can pray for her and her family (and community) every day. I have the power to invest in her life.

I don't have much. But I can do much with what I have. If I'm faithful with it.


No comments :